You can help
There are a lot of ways to help this project, not just as a programmer, but also by providing feedback, writing documentation, translating, creating statistical plugins, or by donating.
Whatever it is that you can contribute, here are some first pointers to help you getting started. As the very first pointer, however: Never shy away from contacting us!
Important starting points for all contributors
- RKWard Source Repository: For contributions of all kinds (code, documentation, translations, plugins) it is highly useful to keep track of the current state of development, not only when offical versions are released.
- Submitting Patches
- Release Schedule
Tracking bugs, tasks and feature suggestions:
- Submitting, reviewing or browsing Bugs and Feature Requests
- Open Tasks
- Feature Plan
Documentation for documentation writers
- The sources for this website
- Info on the documentation format used in RKWard’s internal documentation (the “Welcome”-pages but also Help pages for individual plugins): https://rkward.kde.org/doc/rkwardplugins/pluginhelp.html
Developing plugins aka “Statistics Dialogs”
- Hands-on tutorial and reference on writing plugins: HTML for online browsing
- Automated Plugin Testing
- The appendix to our article in the Journal of Statistical Software discusses several aspects of the techical design, and is still mostly relevant: (Abstract, PDF).
Mailing list archives
Has something been discussed, before? Check the mailing list archives:
- https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/rkward-devel/ (RKWard-Devel)
- https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/rkward-users/ (RKWard-Users)
- https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/rkward-tracker/ (RKWard-Tracker)
Really, you should not be reading those, except when thinking about how to replace these:
There are a number of further places where bugs / issues are reported. While these trackers are distribution-specific, many of the issues reported there concern RKWard in general. Therefore it makes sense to a least check these once in a while:
- Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rkward
- Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=rkward
- Fedora: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=rkward&product=Fedora
Reviews / comparisons
For some hints on what may need improvements / what other software does better. This list is not comprehensive, please tell us, if you have something to add:
- Bob Muenchen: https://r4stats.com/2022/06/20/updated-comparison-of-r-guis/ (Updated from time to time, version linked, here, may or may not be the latest)
- Gene Shackman: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4105959