RKWard on Mac
|This page has been marked as needing an improvement. This means the page is incomplete, badly structured or otherwise in need of significant improvements.|
To date we are not aware of successful attempts to install RKWard on Mac OS X. Unfortunately, none of the main contributors has a Mac available, so we cannot figure out a complete step-by-step guide without your help. If you would like to give this a try, please do! You are likely to run into a problem, here or there, but we are very much willing to talk you through those, and we are confident that RKWard on Mac is just a few steps away.
Please take the outline below as a rough guide of the required steps. If one of the steps is unclear, or simply does not work, let us know, and we will find a solution.
- You need an existing installation of R (2.7.0 or higher). http://www.r-project.org/ has binaries for MacOS, and you will likely use the latest available binary installer.
- For KDE4, follow this procedure (taken from http://mac.kde.org):
- Install Fink: http://www.finkproject.org/download/index.php
- Open a Terminal
- Enable Unstable: fink configure
- Update Fink: http://www.finkproject.org/faq/upgrade-fink.php
- Finally, install kdelibs and some needed packages. Currently it is important to use the X11 versions, RKWard will not work with the native versions, yet:
fink install kdebase4-runtime-x11 fink install kdelibs4-x11-dev fink install svn fink install cmake
- Versions of RKWard up to 0.5.2 used to require PHP, but for the moment it is recommended to use the development version of RKWard, and PHP is no longer needed, there.
- Fink also provides an R package, but this seems to be very old, thus it is recommended to install the official binary from http://www.r-project.org, as detailed above.
Next fetch the latest SVN sources:
svn co http://rkward.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rkward/trunk rkward_trunk
The remainder of the process should work as detailed at Building RKWard From Source. These commands will hopefully do the trick:
cd rkward_trunk/rkward; # the directory with the svn checkout mkdir build; cd build cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` -DR_EXECUTABLE=/path/to/your/R/binary/R make sudo make install
This should be all!
Again: Some detail or other of the above instructions is probably just wrong. If / when you get an error, please don't give up. Send us a mail, and we will talk you through.
BTW: If you figured out the remaining details all by yourself: Great! But please drop us a note as well, so we can provide more accurate instructions in the future.